Most of us are waiting for spring to arrive by the time March rolls around every year. I gaze enviously at the stunning porches of our southern friends on social media with the beautiful planters, and chairs, blankets and other decor items and realize that as a Canadian, my porch will never look that good in the winter months. Sadly my planter is snowed in under several feet of snow and it looks like it will be like this for a while.
Here are a few things that I am doing this year that make life a little bit brighter while we are waiting for spring:
- Bring on the greens. I love beautiful fresh flowers as much as the next person, but the faux plants and flowers are so realistic now that I am using them all over my house. A sprinkle of colour or green in every room really makes a difference.
- Marie Kondo all the way. I jumped on the Marie Kondo bandwagon this winter and it really gave me a good feeling to do some deep cleaning and organizing. (You could do the white glove test behind my dryer right now ha ha.) Seriously, this type of cleaning is not something I would do when the sun is shining and the temperature is warm, but it feels good to get some of this necessary work done in the winter.
- Let there be light. I am so guilty of never lighting candles that I have bought or have been gifted. I don’t know what I have been saving them for, but I am trying to change that. There is something about lighting a candle that feels special to me, so I have been trying to light one regularly. A flickering light in a room changes the feeling. The same is true with a lit fire.
4. Breathe healing scents. I had never tried aromatherapy before so I thought I would. I found that it is really nice to have a subtle background scent: it gives another layer to your home. There are so many options that help promote relaxation or sleep. I am going to explore this further.
5. Seek the sun. We have to take advantage when the sun comes out, while waiting for spring, during a Canadian winter. There are so many things you can do and winter sports you can enjoy. Our puppy is getting lots of walks on the frozen river this year. This is Mackenzie out on the river with Lola. insert photo
I, like many others, am spending the winter filling my head with plans for spring when we can actually get outside and do something. But as tempting as it may be, don’t wish the winter away. Entertain, read, cook, exercise, play music and Marie Kondo your drawers. Eat yummy soups and watch Netflix. You will be happy you did when spring finally arrives and you will want to spend every minute outdoors.
What are your tricks for living a beautiful life while waiting for spring?
Leave a Reply