This week we made big progress with paint and wallpaper in our principal bedroom.
But first, this is what happened in week one, two and three. And don’t forget to check on the progress of the featured designers and other guest participants in the One Room Challenge sponsored by Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Things are really heating up.
My plan for this room was to go a bit moody as most of our house is white with some grey. So, I have to confess that I was afraid to pick a darker colour. I called one of my IG friends @ashleyizsak for a little assistance. She encouraged me to try Farrow and Ball, when I have always used Benjamin Moore. So I picked FB Hardwick White and bought the paint. We were heading away for the weekend and the painter was arriving at 8 am Monday. I was organized.
Mid-Monday I went upstairs to check on the painting progress and I was in shock. Paint remorse I would say. It was much darker than expected. I woke up the next morning, looked at the cabinets and almost pulled the plug, but decided anyway to proceed.
A few days into the project we are finally used to the colour and are actually loving it. There is something to learn from this. Go with your gut. You made a well thought out choice, so trust that choice and go with it.
Needless to say, the darker paint colour has made a big difference to our room it feels like a cozier space already.
Peel and Stick Wallpaper
But I knew that brighter was coming. I have a partnership with @roommatesdecor and I chose and they sent, this brand new Tick Mark Peel and Stick Wallpaper. We have wallpapered before and it has never really been easy, but this application was so different.
Just to situate you, the wallpaper is going on the principal bedroom feature wall. We carried the paint up to 10 inches from the ceiling, so that was the plan with the wallpaper also. For the wallpaper installation we had a line on the wall, but when finished there will be moulding – coming.
My awesome hubby @geraintthewelsh was the lead on this and I was the extra set of hands occasionally needed, the cleaner-upper and of course the documenter. Once we got a perfectly straight guideline in place, we were off to the races. We learned that once the top part of the paper is placed straight, it is best to let gravity take it into place and go from there. We also learned that the sticky sides of the wallpaper should never meet. Eeek. Good thing we planned a bit extra for potential mistakes.
I have to say that the wallpaper changed the room completely. It is the yin to yang of the paint and is so smooth and beautiful, I cannot stop touching it.
As mentioned earlier, there was moulding to be added where the paint and wallpaper meets 10 inches from the ceiling. We were like goldilocks buying and returning trim that was too thick and then too thin, but finally we got the trim size and shape that was just right. I hesitated on whether to paint the trim white or grey like the rest of the trim, but you voted grey so I went with it.
But again, I had painters remorse. After the paint was done, I pulled out my paint brush again and painted the trim above the wallpaper white. I just did not like the grey line going across the room. It feels much better white. I will show you that soon.
We have two dressers that I planned to keep, and their original grey colour seemed to match well with the wall paint colour. I don’t know if it was the lighting in the room, or the beautiful fall leaf colour coming in our uncovered window, but the greys did not match to my liking. So again, I woke up in the morning with a decision made, and I painted the dressers.
Have I ever mentioned that I make decisions in my sleep and wake up knowing what I should do? I don’t know if that is good or bad but the morning light made me decide to paint. I actually enjoy painting and it wasn’t a hard job. But I got up from the floor and twisted my neck wrong and couldn’t turn my head for the next couple of days.
Spray Painting Handles
We had one more painting project going on this week. I decide to spray paint all of the knobs and handles in the room gold. I saw this easy way of doing it, to stick them in cardboard and it worked really well. The paint I used was RUST-OLEUM Metallic Paint and Primer in one in Pure Gold.
This was the easiest part of the week for sure.
Well that’s all the drama for now folks. Week four was a tough one. But week five should be easier with just one major project on the books – re-upholstering our bed. Make sure you join me for that.