Before I mention the word reupholster, first things first. Happy Halloween everyone. To be honest, I am a bit scared myself today. One week to go, and one less hour this week. Will I get everything done?
It’s week five of the One Room Challenge. Social media is filled with posts and stories of people getting the work done. Be sure to check out the featured designers and guest participants as they race to the finish line.
The Bed Before the Reupholster
This week we re-covered our upholstered bed (I use the word “we” loosely).
My hubby @geraintthewelsh built this bed approximately 20 years ago. It has served us well. But, I felt it was time for an update. We got a new mattress a few months ago. Here is the link to my princess and the pea search for the right bed.
He built a frame with old doors as a base. I think we were replacing doors in the house that we lived in at the time, so in they went as the base for the bed. Here you can see the actual structure of the existing bed.
The Bed Reupholster Process
I chose this lush velvet-like fabric from fabric.com. I was pleased with the quality of the fabric, and I can’t stop touching it. It is also pliable and easy to work with (so I am told.)
Geraint started the reupholster with the legs and sides of the bed frame, recovering the existing fabric. This made it easy since the padding was already there. The engineer in him said to make sure that I pointed out that he first made a set-up, to make the process easier.
As you can image, there was a bit of upheaval when updating our principal bedroom. Even Lola was out of sorts.
The Headboard Reupholster
For the headboard, we decided to simplify it. The previous headboard had a wood frame and rested on the floor. The new version is a lightweight form that will hang on the wall.
Geraint took the padded bit that was in the centre of our previous headboard and covered it. Done and done.
We don’t have the headboard mounted but I am love with the colour and texture of this new upholstered piece. It contributes a lot to the cozy, moody feeling that is my goal.
A Dramatic New Ceiling Light
We were able to get a few other things sorted this week. This light is from lamps.com and is called the Possini Euro Azra 26” Black Branching 6 Light Ceiling light. I love the interest that it brings to the ceiling.
When we first put it up, I installed one of the clear bulbs with the visible filament that have an industrial look. But, I could not believe the glare that the one bulb gave off and it was not the right choice for a fixture over the bed. I installed these opaque round bulbs which are still a cool shape, but there is no glare.
Budget-Conscious Black-out Drapes
Also this week, we were finally able to install drapes on the window.
I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I am finished with the dustiness that comes with venitian blinds. Ideally, I would like to put woven blinds in here, but we are planning to replace this window soon, so it didn’t make sense to invest.
I was quite excited to find these inexpensive blackout drapery panels at gianttiger.com. They were the prefect price. There were however, challenges involved, as we had to go to five stores to get all the panels needed. As I was ironing them, I realized I had bought one panel that was similar but not the same. So back to the store I went. But now that they are hung, I am pleased and have put aside the effort it took to get here.
It is so great having black out drapes, but also weird. I wake up early, so I am used to it being dark. But it so dark that I knocked over my water reaching for the light, them bumped into the dresser on the way to the bathroom, on the first morning we used them. But, I am actually sleeping a bit longer with blackout drapes, so this is a win.
I am planning a small gallery wall over our dresser, and I might paint something myself to go there. I will be looking for inspiration this week.
In preparation for the final reveal, we have a whole lot of installation and styling and some candy to eat. Be sure to come back next week for the final reveal.